Doing all the right things, but still feel like a fatty? Your microbiome, the ecosystem of bacteria living in your gut, might be the problem.
According to Yahoo, here are 10 FOODS THAT FIGHT BELLY BLOAT:
1. Sauerkraut- "Fermented foods like sauerkraut, pickled veggies, and kimchi are some of the best sources of probiotics--a form of good bacteria that supports healthy digestion and decreases bloat," says Frank Lipman, M.D.
2. Onions and leeks- These foods produce butyrate, that improves insulin sensitivity and burns fat, says Rafael Kellman, M.D., author of The Microbiome Diet.
3. Artichokes and asparagus- These prebiotic foods produce acetate, an acid that turns on the fat-burning activity in your cells by helping them recover from inflammation.
4. Avocado- Healthy fats high in omega 3s and 6s--like those in avocado, nuts, olive oil, and salmon provide long-burning energy, and keep your hunger at bay.
5. Leafy greens- These greens are high in digestion-helping fiber, and improve the diversity of healthy organisms in the gut, says Lipman.
6. Jicama- This Mexican root vegetable contains inulin, a type of fiber that slows down the absorption of blood sugar to help you feel fuller longer, Kellman says.
7. Yogurt- A study published in the “British Journal of Nutrition”, women who consumed this type of probiotic lost twice as much weight as those who didn't.
8. Garlic- Garlic is rich in inulin, the fiber that helps the body digest food more efficiently and steadies blood sugar.
9. Kiwi- This fruit--along with colorful radishes, tomatoes, and carrots--contains arabinogalactans, a prebiotic that feeds the good bacteria that help your metabolism function optimally.
10. Water with lemon- "Bitter foods like lemon help stimulate your body's GI juices and aid the start of the digestion process. Arugula, dandelion root, and apple cider vinegar will also do the trick.