Dangers To Avoid To Keep Your Pets Safe This Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day is tomorrow and couples around the world will be celebrating their love with sweet treats, bouquets and lots of affection. The holiday fun can include your beloved pets, too, but animal experts want to remind us that some things associated with Valentine’s Day can be hazardous for our furry friends.

To keep pets safe, keep them away from these common Valentine’s Day dangers:

  • Chocolate - It’s a popular treat for lovebirds on this holiday, but it’s not safe for pets. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, which is toxic to cats and dogs. And the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it has and the more dangerous it is. Eating it may cause symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate and in extreme cases, it can be fatal for pets.
  • Flowers - A bouquet of flowers from your Valentine is a romantic gift, but some flowers are toxic to pets if ingested. Lilies are lovely to look at, but they’re toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. Tulips, daffodils and azaleas can also be potentially poisonous to pets, so make sure the blooms are out of reach for them.
  • Xylitol - This sweetener is commonly found in sugar-free candies and gum, but it can be extremely toxic for pets, especially dogs. Even a little bit can cause a rapid release of insulin in dogs, that results in a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, leading to symptoms like vomiting, loss of coordination and seizures, or even liver failure.
  • Perfumes and colognes - We all want our partners to smell good, but many fragrances contain risky ingredients for pets that can cause skin irritation, respiratory distress and potential internal organ damage if they ingest it.

Source: The Ledger

Photo: Getty

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content