The 89th annual Academy Awards have gone down in the history books...here’s a roundup of what you may have missed:
- We know that Scarlett Johansson is living the single life after splitting with her husband Romain Dauriac last month. So who was the man on her arm Sunday night? She was with her agent, Joe Machota, who heads up CAA’s theater department. No word on the status of their relationship…
- Speaking of mystery dates, Ryan Gosling also turned heads with his “plus-one.” Apparently, he left his baby mama, Eva Mendes, at home to care for their two daughters – two-year-old Esmeralda and nine-month-old Amada –while he and his older sister, Mandi Gosling, went to the big party. Even though Ryan and Eva have been together since 2012, they have yet to make their red carpet debut.
- Meanwhile, Jim Parsons almost didn’t make it to the big party. The “Hidden Figures” star forgot his ID and was almost left out in the cold. Fortunately, his friend Melissa McNeely got to him in time to walk the red carpet and attend the ceremony.
- Did Chrissy Teigen get enough rest before the Oscars? We’re not sure, but it looked like she was dozing off during Casey Affleck’s acceptance speech.
- Remember when Jimmy Kimmel showered the guests with parachutes filled with candy and cookies? Well, Taraji P. Henson was super excited about the free food, but she didn’t catch one. Fortunately, her “Hidden Figures” co-star Octavia Spencer did, and Taraji asked her, “Are you sharing?”
- Australian producer Jan Chapman is thankful to be alive this morning after her image was used in the “In Memoriam” segment. Her picture was mistakenly used to represent Janet Patterson, a four-time Oscar nominee for costume design who died in October. Apparently Jan is pretty well known in her home country and was once married to director Philip Noyce. Both the alive Jan and the deceased Janet worked on “The Piano” and “Bright Star,” among other things.
- And finally, is there an art to clapping? If so, Nicole Kidman failed miserably at it. In case you missed it, Mrs. Keith Urban’s take on applause only utilized her palms – not her fingers. Needless to say, Twitter went in. One asked, “Why does Nicole Kidman clap like The Grinch?!” Another said, “I’ve never seen anyone ever clap like that unless they have wet nail polish.” “Has Nicole Kidman never seen anyone clap before?” another tweeter asked. Some users blamed the big rings she wore to the show, saying, “People making fun of Nicole Kidman’s clapping have obviously never worn rings on both hand that could break or pinch when clapping.”
- ONE MORE THING! If you think Warren Beatty was the first one to make a mistake on the Oscars, think again. Apparently Sammy Davis Jr. announced the wrong winner back in 1964 because he, too, was handed the wrong envelope.
photo: Getty Images