Johnny Depp has been embroiled in one personal and financial scandal after another in recent years, and his behavior may actually damage Disney, outsiders allege.
Even as he was charged with physically abusing his former wife Amber Heard and then proceeded to exchange multimillion lawsuits with his former managers at The Management Group, the gigantic Pirates of the Caribbean franchise seemed impenetrable.
- But according to an investigation from The Hollywood Reporter, Depp’s jaw-dropping spending and personal habits may imperil the franchise.
- “Studio execs worry that Depp's personal peccadilloes could impact the marketing of their $230 million-budget tentpole and future of a $3.7 billion box-office franchise,” THR writes.
- In the six years since Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides opened to $350 million worldwide, going on to earn more than $1 billion worldwide, Depp has been involved in a series of expensive flops including Dark Shadows, The Lone Ranger, Mortdecai, and most recently, Alice Through the Looking Glass. Alice was such an epic failure, concerned investors reacted and Disney’s stock dipped temporarily.
- Depp’s woes may have caused bad (and for Disney, costly) behavior on-set.
- “Sources close to the production report tales of excessive drinking, physical fights with Heard, and constant lateness on set, which often left hundreds of extras waiting for hours at a time,” THR wrote.
- At one point, Depp was so hard to track down, the studio hired someone just to wait outside his house and alert the set when he saw lights come on in the morning.
- Outsiders speculate that if this installment of Pirates is a flop, it may sink both Disney and Depp.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales comes out May 26th.
CHECK IT OUT:
Read the Full Story
11 Extravagant Things Johnny Depp Dropped Big Bucks On