We've all been there. Taken a first bite of what we assume will be a tasty meal only to be met with a burning tongue. We reach for some ice cold water but is that the best choice?
Dr. Christopher T. Simons, a professor of sensory science at Ohio State University shares his thoughts on some popular drinks.
Milk: Dr. Christopher T. Simons, a professor of sensory science at Ohio State University says “The spicy compounds are soluble in fat, so they don’t really like water,” Simons advised. The fat in the whole milk helps to provide some relief.
Ice water: If you want instantaneous relief. This should be your go-to. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide long-term relief.
Pepsi: Simons says those bursts I’m feeling aren’t actually bubbles but the “carbon dioxide converted into an acid carbonic acid, and we actually feel these little bursts of acid pain.”
Beer: “There's ethanol in there. The capsaicin [spicy compounds] is more soluble in ethanol than it is in water," so it’s similar to the fat in milk. At first, it does nothing, but then it dulls. Then, of course, the pain comes back.
Mountain Dew: Like Pepsi...no long-term help.
Photo: Getty Images