I have so many fond memories of vacationing in Ocean City, MD. It was our "go to" beach destination. When my husband and I started planning our annual vacation a couple of years ago, we really wanted to find a place to make "ours." A destination where we could make memories with our son.
We love the Outer Banks, but it's not as close as we'd like a beach to be. We also tried to pass on the Ocean City tradition to our son...but it's gotten a bit too crowded for our liking. So, we started looking at other options. We heard about Lewes, DE through family members and friends with young children. I didn't know much about Lewes before last week....but I do know that we have found OUR beach!
Some of the reasons we LOVE LEWES...
1. It's CLOSE...only a 2 1/2 hour drive away.
2. The beach is not as crowded as Ocean City. We stayed at a private beach community and had it practically to ourselves!
3. It's perfect for little kids. No big waves...and it's VERY SHALLOW! Since it's the Delaware Bay, the water is calm...and you can walk out at least 100 yards with the water not getting past your thighs...LOL.
4. If you DO want WAVES...or to go fishing...head over the Cape Henlopen State Park. There are also a bunch of trails for walking/cycling.
5. Lewes is a very quaint beach town. It reminds me of Old Town or Annapolis. No major chain. Just a bunch of adorable mom and pop shops...and some amazing restaurants!
6. You can take the Lewes Ferry to Cape May, NJ for quick day trip.
7. Rehoboth Beach is 15-minutes away. Great boardwalk...and Funland for the kids!
Here are some highlights from our trip...