These days it’s hard to separate our work life from our home life, which may be why most Americans these days consider themselves workaholics.
A new poll finds that 48% of Americans consider themselves to be workaholics, with 28% saying they work so hard because they have to for financial reasons. Just how much does work seep into our private lives? Well, 58% of workers say they check work email while they are still in bed in the morning, with the average American spending four hours a week working for free, and another four hours thinking about work.
So, how do you know if you’re a workaholic? According to the poll, the top sign is that you prioritize your work before your personal life (54%), followed by worrying about work on a day off (51%). Other signs you’re a workaholic include:
- Struggling to switch off or actually working while on a vacation (50%)
- Checking emails in the middle of the night (48%)
- Being the first person to get to work and last to leave (46%)
- Feeling pressured or too busy to take annual leave (46%)
- Working through lunch (45%)
- Feeling anxious or lost if I don't check in/know what's happening at work (45%)
- Being told by friends/family I work too much (44%)
- Checking emails first thing in the morning (39%)