While we have a few months before we have to start worrying about our taxes, it seems there are a lot of people who probably aren’t concerned, because they have no idea when they are due.
A new survey finds:
- Less than a third of Americans actually know when their taxes are due.
- Only 27% of Americans were aware that April 15th is tax day.
- Plus, 24% said they didn’t know the cut off for filing an extension, with only 15% correctly knowing it was April 1st.
Of course there could be a good reason so few people are aware of tax day. It’s simply because they’d rather think about anything else.
- 25% of Americans say filing their taxes is a major cause of stress.
- In fact, it’s such a stressor that folks would be willing to do some crazy things if it meant not having to file them. Things they’d rather do include:
- Lose an hour of sleep a night for a month (46%)
- Get a bad haircut (36%)
- Lose favorite sweater forever (36%)
- Eat a bowl of insects (30%)
- Give up chocolate for a year (28%)
- Walk to work for a week (20%)